Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lost Bees in the Biosphere






Art installation: Lost Bees in the Biosphere by Anna Cooke and Rozina Suliman



Rozina Suliman with the booklet put together by the 2 artists to accompany their work.


Today I met an innovative young artist,  Rozina Suliman,  who co-ordinated Brisbane-based Environmental Art Collective's  ART / PLAY  / SCIENCE 2009 - a  4 day Art Exhibition at White Canvas Space at 26 Church St, Fortitude Valley. If you are in the area you still have till 6pm Tuesday to see this show...2 full days viewing left  (10 am - 6 pm MON & TUES). The space itself was wonderful and the show freshly conceived with a concentrated effort over some months of meetings with artists to develop a dialogue out of which the work was realised. This produced some noteworthy results avoiding it  becoming a mish mash of random works with a unifying title. Instead Rozina's co-ordination and curating skills are to be praised for successfully bringing viewers a rewarding experience, well worth  the effort of seeking out this rather new art space.
Discussing the process behind the show itself as well as Rozina's work was most engaging. Anne Cooke, her collaborator with the installation, is a PhD student in Social and Environmental Psychology. Lino printing is just one of the art forms she works with and has utilised in this work with Rozina who focuses on media and installations in her art practice as well as being Art Curator at Brisbane venue Top Floor.
Around 16 artist were involved in this show...I would have liked to mention the work of these artists as well...unfortunately ...early start in the morning!

14 comments:

Nicola Moss said...

Thanks Sophie,
I enjoy reading your exhibition reports. Couldn't make the opening of this show but will check it out on Tuesday.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Nicola,
I heard the opening was very busy which is why visiting yesterday with the quiet atmosphere and other attentive viewers made it a very pleasant experience. Rozina was available to talk with at length too.
I'd like to hear what you discover...unfortunately I didn't get to speak of other artists.
Thanks for the warm comments,
Sophie

Jay Dee said...

Ah - I wanted to check this one out too - thanks Sophie. I didn't realise it was on tomorrow as well. I'll have to high-tale it down there too for a peak, it looks great!

Chrissy Foreman C said...

Hi Soph!
I was there on opening night and had been involved in the lead up to the exhibition ~ I was blown away on the night ~ the exhibition was beautiful!
I LOVED the board game ~ a freind and I sat down and had a play on the night ~ wine in hand of course!

Sophie Munns said...

I'm glad you found out in time Jay Dee. We all seem to get bombarded with dates and events...I find it very helpful to get a bit more of the picture on the content on offer... & the "this many days to go" seems to work a treat when the dates start to become a blur!
A personal assistant to manage those things must be amazing...my diarising has gone to pot...too much happening!
S

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Chrissy,
I hope you'll blog all about it...given the topical interplay between Art and Science... and from an environmental collective!
It was great to go at a quiet time and have a chance meeting with Rozina to hear the thinking behind the show. I seemed to completely miss hearing anything of substance in the lead up which was a shame. As I was just saying to Jay Dee, so much washes in that it is all so easily lost.
Do share with us the inside story a few days ahead of time Chrissy ...there's nothing better for oldies(!) like me who will go to a show if I hear it is considered material by serious participants...even if my hearing and desire to concentrate on the work makes me avoid the crowds at openings.

Jay Dee said...

I managed to get over to the last day of the show yesterday and it was great! So nice to see work with an agenda :) And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the dates blurring - wish I had a PA too!!

Sophie Munns said...

That makes me smile Jay Dee...I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the need of a PA to manage the onslought of communications.
I heard recently of someone going back to using faxes for promo as they are so rarely used now that she had a high response rate! People apparently liked the novelty of the fax message!
glad you got to the show!
S
Very curious to know more about Myrtle St studios!

Sophie Munns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay Dee said...

Haha! Yes Sophie - I've had a few faxed advertisements come through and yes, you do notice them! Much more coming up with Myrtle Street Studio - should have something up today on the blog.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Jay Dee,
really looking forward to reading about this Myrtle St Studio project...
thanks for your feedback re faxes...who'd have thought...the retro ad...dont have a fax myself.
see you,
Sophie

Jay Dee said...

Hi Sophie! Have you checked out the blog for MSS? It is www.myrtlestreetstudio.wordpress.com if you want to visit - I will be updating it weekly with all the juicy bits on progress!

Sophie Munns said...

Oh Jay Dee...this is so exciting!

I am going to post a reference to your blog with a little intro story this evening. I live only 2 or 3 suburbs due east from the Grange..i cant wait...this location is just calling for a venture like yours...great news!
Will keep in touch with your plans!
Sophie

Jay Dee said...

Thanks so much Sophie! So glad you think this area is in need of something like MSS too :). You are welcome to drop in some time when we are starting to see some walls up if you like!xx